A multidisciplinary group with a proven track record in both ICT technologies and Materials and Manufacturing, we develop solutions based on monitoring systems in industrial applications.
Our activity ranges from the design of intelligent systems and components (which detect changes in physical variables and process and transmit data for process improvement) to the development of intelligent and automated systems that guide operators and industrial monitoring/automation and to the implementation of new non-destructive techniques that are sensitive to the microstructure of steel and make quality control possible.
Industry 4.0. consists of applying digitization to production processes in factories by means of sensors and information systems that transform production processes and make them more efficient.
This qualitative leap is undertaken in its entirety by the group and its experts in monitoring, manufacturing and non-destructive techniques, which guarantees the utmost quality.
- Development and deployment of wireless sensor networks
- Cyber-physical systems
- Human-machine interfaces
- Ad-hoc intelligent component design
- Data analysis (big data)
- Cloud computing
- Cyber security
Knowledge of materials and manufacturing:
- Metallurgical transformation processes using both thermomechanical and powder metallurgy treatments
- Design and manufacture of special alloys through casting or using metal powders
- Microstructure and its relationship with the properties of consolidated materials
- Mechanical and micromechanical behavior in a wide range of deformation modes and testing conditions
- Metallurgical thermodynamics applied to the study of solid-gas reactions during processing and during service (e.g. oxidation, corrosion, etc.)
Our group's activities focus on the development and implementation of non-destructive techniques based on electromagnetic measurements, which makes it possible to control the quality of products or production processes in areas such as:
- Characterization of metal materials.
- Microstructural characterization of different types of steel.
- Estimation of mechanical properties such as hardness, yield strength or tensile strength.
- Analysis of heat treatment quality.
- Characterization of surface hardness and hardened layer thickness.
- Residual stresses data.
- Characterization of grinding burn.
- Detection of defects such as cracks and inclusions.
- Assessment of components for in-service degradation.
- Classification of alloys.
- Coating layer measurements.
Vision and Robotics
- Augmented reality.
- Industrial vision.
- Automation and robotics.
The most basic research carried out in this field in the last 6 years is part of the following projects:
The digital signal processing laboratory provides powerful workstations to develop state-of-the-art signal processing algorithms for communication systems such as DVB-T, DVB-T2, WiFi and ISM.
Digital circuit prototyping facilities are available in order to design, implement and test our digital solutions on different platforms: microprocessor, DSP, FPGA or ASIC.
Main available equipment:
- Aptix MP3C System Explorer (Reconfigurable System Prototyping)
- Agilent 16700B Logic Analysis System
- Agilent 54832B Infinium 1GHz 4GS/s Digital Oscilloscope
- Agilent E8408A C-Size VXI Mainframe, 4-Slot
- Agilent E1439A - 95 MSa/s Digitizer with DSP, Memory and 70MHz IF input
- Agilent 89605A RF Input Module
- Agilent E4440A 3Hz-26.5GHz Spectrum Analyzer
- Rohde&Schwarz AMIQ I/Q Modulation Generator
- Rohde&Schwarz SMIQ 03B 300 KHz-3.3 GHz Signal Generators
- Agilent 8360B series swept signal generator E83650B (10MHz – 50GHz)
- HP synthesizer/function generator 3325B
- Agilent PSA series spectrum analyser E4448A (3Hz – 50GHz)
- Agilent PNA network series analyser E8364B (10MHz – 50GHz)
- SOLARTRON SI 1260 Impedance/Gain-Phase Analyzer
- Vötsch industrietechnik VT4011 temperature test chamber
- Streamtel DVBT-M7900 DTT Modulator
- Rapid prototyping platforms for microprocessor, DSP and FPGA based systems.
- Prensas de ensayo y hornos para tratamientos y sinterización en un amplio rango de capacidades, atmósferas y temperaturas.
- Equipamiento para la caracterización microestructural incluyendo; OM, SEM, TEM, FIB, AFM, XRD.
- Equipos auxiliares para determinación de composición química (ICP, LECO), Dilatometría, DSC, TGA y Conductividad térmica entre otros
Vision and Robotics
- Microsoft Hololens
- HTC Vive
- Perception Neuron motion capture system
- Various industrial cameras and conventional and telecentric lenses
- 3D lasers
- Mitsubishi PA-10 Robot
- 2 Fanuc robots
- 1 Denso robot
- 1 Scorbot robot
- Mobile robot park