DESIGN, MODELLING AND CHARACTERIZATION OF COMPONENTS AND PROCESSES
The railway industry is taking advantage of the ICT-based technology trends that lead toward digitization; the concept of “the digital train” is increasingly being implemented under the influence of Industry 4.0. Nevertheless, trains still circulate over rails and bear substantial similarities between rails and wheelsets from over 100 years ago. Our solid knowledge in metal materials science helps our customers manufacture better, more durable and safer components.
- Improvement of steel grade, processing and heat treatment of rails, wheels and axles for fulfilling high mechanical requirements.
- Characteristic assessment, metallurgy processes and life
prediction of switches and crossings.
- Fatigue crack propagation analysis.
- Wear resistance and toughness.
- Bearing steels and heat treatments for improved bearing
- Sintered metal matrix brake pads for high speed trains.
- Quality control, defect characterization, degradation, in-service inspection.
- Metal Additive Manufacturing with DED laser powder and Binder Jetting DED (Direct Energy Deposition).
- Manufacture of metallic powder by gas atomization or high water pressure atomization technics.
- Advanced monitoring systems based on electromagnetic signals, ultrasounds, microwaves and optical sensors.
- Cognitive robotics: virtual/augmented reality and collaborative robotics.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE
- Fatigue analytics and numerical modeling.
- Testing capabilities and microstructural characterization.
- Nondestructive testing, e.g. magnetic Barkhausen noise measurements, BNA analysis, magnetic flux leakage measurements, etc.
- Destructive testing, e.g. optical and electronic microscopy (FEGSEM, EBSD, STEM, FIB), X-ray diffraction, on-site mechanical testing.
- Analysis of steel grade, processing and heat treatment.
- Steel cleanness (inclusions).
- Forging conditions.
- Microstructure after heat treatment (microstructural homogeneity).
- Final mechanical properties analysis (strength and toughness).